Thursday, August 23, 2012

French Provincial Side Table

I picked up this cute little side table a few months ago.  The picture in the ad didn’t look too bad and the price was decent, so I thought I’d take a look.  

It definitely needed some TLC.  The current finish was a bit rough and while you can't see it in the picture, it had some serious water damage along the top. 

After a LOT of sanding, a few coats of wood filler and then even more sanding, I sprayed on a coat of primer.  I quickly realized that the top was going to still need some more attention.  I forgot to take pictures, but lets just say that the previous wounds I thought I’d taken care of decided to stay visible!  More sanding and wood filler would be required!

After the primer was finally finished, it was time to paint.  At first I thought I would go with my predictable white.  It would be simple, clean, and white seems to sell quickly.  BUT, I couldn’t do it.  I was craving color again!  I had some leftover light turquoise paint from my coffee table project and thought I’d give that a try.   

I liked it, but wanted to take it a step further and give it some depth, so I decided to lightly glaze it with a custom mix chocolate color glaze.  I loved it!

I knew I wanted the top a different color.  Because the top was not solid wood, staining it wasn’t an option, so instead I painted it a beautiful rich espresso brown

I felt the existing hardware suited the piece, so I just updated it with a fresh coat of Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.

I’m happy with the way this piece turned out.

This piece has already been sold!

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

7-Drawer Dresser

I actually forgot to take an official “before” photo, so I’m using the one from the original online ad.  This particular dresser was in decent shape.  

I’m sure there are many stories behind all the nicks, dents and scratches, so I chose to leave them so they would show up in the finished piece.  After sanding, priming and painting, I lightly distressed all the edges and then sprayed on a glossy protective clear coat.

I wrapped the drawers before painting to keep the interiors tidy.  I prefer to leave the interiors unpainted as I find the paint tends to rub off if they are painted.

I had planned to replace the hardware, but quickly discovered that all new hardware is now made 3” on center.  That means 3” from the center of one hole to the center of the other one.  Unfortunately, the hardware on the dresser is vintage and is 2-7/8” on center!  Eek!  Replacing the hardware meant I would have had to fill all the old holes and then re sand, prime and paint the drawer fronts all over again!  NOT an option.  Instead I decided to update the existing hardware with paint – and I am SO glad I did.  I absolutely love it and feel they are perfect with the style of the dresser.

This piece is now available for sale!

Thanks for stopping by!