It’s another desk makeover! This is the last desk for awhile...at least, I don’t think I have another one buried in my garage right now.
I picked up this cutie last summer and finally dragged it into my garage to work on it. I forgot to take a full before pic, so I contacted the seller I’d purchased it from and she gave me permission to use the original picture she’d sent me.
It was solid, but needed a bit of a face lift.
The paint along the top had started to lift and chip away so I decided to spend the time stripping it down with the intention to stain it. I just love the look of a two-tone piece!
After spending a fair amount of time stripping away all the paint, I was disappointed to find the wood had some serious discoloration.
I’m not sure if it had been painted over that way, or if something had somehow gotten under the paint. After some serious sanding, I was happy to find it was just surface staining and I could continue with my idea of staining it. I chose to use my favorite chestnut color, English Chestnut by Minwax. I love the rich deep color.
After two coats of stain, I finished it with five coats of glossy polyurethane.
To update the look of the hutch, I chose to remove the two doors. I found the design slightly odd with the open shelf above them.
Both the hutch and the body of the desk received coats of primer, crisp white paint and were followed with a glossy clear coat.
I chose to paint the desk drawers in the same soft blue/green color I used on this little desk chair makeover. The original hardware was updated with oil rubbed bronze paint.
I'm such a sucker for furniture with curvy little legs!!!
I thought it was only fair to freshen up the inside of the drawers as well with a simple black and white vinyl.
I left the very back of the hutch until last. I debated whether to just paint it white, the same blue/green as the drawers, or to go with something completely different and add some colorful fabric. The fabric choice won. I had this beautiful piece in my fabric stash and it worked perfectly with the painted drawers.
I cut a new ¼” plywood backing and adhered the fabric. Once the edges were trimmed, it was attached to the back of the hutch.
I am absolutely thrilled with the way this makeover turned out. I knew I was taking a chance straying from my usual solid white paint, but I felt this desk could handle it. I love the way the fabric picks up on the white and blue/green paint colors as well as the glossy wood top.
This beauty will soon available in my shop and ready for a new home.
Thanks for stopping by!