Thursday, November 21, 2013

6 Cubbie Storage



A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to put some of my leftover wood scraps to use.  After my Kentwood bookshelf project, I had some leftover strips of plywood with no specific plan.  I’ve always liked the look of the cubbie-type storage units, but so many of the store bought ones are built with ½” particle board and assembled with large screws and an allen key.  I knew I wanted something more durable so I decided to build one.  I popped into Canadian Tire and picked up three of their large fabric storage boxes.  They're part of their "For Living" collection and they're called "cube fabric drawers".  I knew I wanted to build the cabinet to custom fit these boxes.

I had enough leftover material to build 6 cubbies, but not quite enough to make the unit tall enough to hold 6 boxes.  I decided the bottom of the unit would be fine for 3 storage boxes and the upper shelves would be fine a little shorter and would be perfect for books or display.


The main box and shelves are built with ¾” sanded pine plywood, constructed with pocket hole screws.   The front and back face frames are built from solid white wood.   Before painting, I filled the visible pocket holes with wooden pocket hole plugs, sanded them flush, and then primed over them!  You can hardly tell they're there!

After starting to paint it with a dark blue paint, I realized immediately it didn’t suit it at all! 



So I repainted it in a soft cream and finished it with a glossy clear coat.  SO much better!








This awesome little storage unit really fits into any room you need a little more storage!  I built the project to sell, but after moving it into my living room for pictures, I was debating whether to actually list it or not! ;)   It just fit in so nicely with our other furniture!



Ok, so this one does have to go, but I’m already thinking about the next one I’ll build!

Thanks for popping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or comments? I'd love to hear them!